Progress to date
Public consultation has taken place involving 17,000 residents, businesses, partners, resident groups, voluntary sector, town and parish council representatives.
This consultation showed overwhelming support for replacing Dorset’s nine existing councils with two unitary authorities – one for rural Dorset and one for urban Dorset.
- February 2017 – Proposal to the Secretary of State
- 7th November 2017 – Secretary of State announces he is minded to approve the Future Dorset plan
- March to May 2018 – Preparation and approval of Parliamentary Orders
- Throughout 2018 – Transition and preparation arrangements: services, staff and assets
- February 2019 – New councils’ budgets set
- April 2019 – New councils become operational
- May 2019 – Local elections to both new councils